Progressive Web Apps: Why Do They Matter?
In previous posts we made an overview of web development trends for 2018 and briefly mentioned Progressive Web Apps. So what are they and why will they be on the rise this year? Let’s take a closer look at them.
Progressive Web Apps are websites that feel like apps. They combine the best of the web and the best of apps. From the very first visit in a browser tab users experience advantages of PWAs, there is no installation. Stronger users’ relationship with PWAs over time, more powerful they become. They load quickly, even on flaky networks, send relevant push notifications, have an icon on the home screen, and load as a top-level, full screen experience.
What are Progressive Web Apps?
- Progressive – Work for every user, regardless of browser choice because they’re built with progressive enhancement as a core tenet.
- Responsive – Fit any form factor: desktop, mobile, tablet, or whatever is next.
- Connectivity independent – Enhanced with service workers to work offline or on low-quality networks.
- App-like – Feel like an app, because the app shell model separates the application functionality from application content.
- Fresh – Always up-to-date thanks to the service worker update process.
- Fast – Respond quickly to user interactions with silky smooth animations and no janky scrolling.
53% of users will abandon a site if it takes longer than 3 seconds to load!
- Safe – Served via HTTPS to prevent snooping and to ensure content hasn’t been tampered with.
- Discoverable – Are identifiable as an “application” thanks to W3C manifest and service worker registration scope, allowing search engines to find it.
- Re-engageable – Make re-engagement easy through features like push notifications.
- Installable – Allow users to add apps they find most useful to their home screen without the hassle of an app store.
- Linkable – Easily share the application via URL, do not require complex installation.
Why build Progressive Web Apps?
Building a high-quality Progressive Web Apps has incredible benefits, making it easy to delight your users, grow engagement and increase conversions.
- Worthy of being on the home screen
When the Progressive Web App criteria are met, Chrome prompts users to add the Progressive Web App to their home screen.
- Work reliably, no matter the network conditions
Service workers enabled Konga to send 63% less data for initial page loads, and 84% less data to complete the first transaction!
- Increased engagement
Web push notifications helped eXtra Electronics increase engagement by 4X. And those users spend twice as much time on the site.
- Improved conversions
The ability to deliver an amazing user experience helped AliExpress improve conversions for new users across all browsers by 104% and on iOS by 82%.
Do not hesitate to contact us to build a top-notch web app which makes your business even more valuable for your clients.
Source: Google Developers